Tax Debt Relief Articles

  • man sitting on hold

How long does the IRS Penalty Abatement process take?

A tax abatement is usually rare, but there are two exceptions of circumstances where the IRS can withdraw a penalty. First, if you fail to pay fines, and secondly, if you fail to file your taxes returns. However, you have to make a written or verbal request for the reduction. ...

  • couple who defaulted on payment plan

What Happens If I Default On My IRS Payment Plan?

You should be compliant by paying your taxes promptly, but there are unavoidable circumstances that may prompt you to default in tax payment. In such cases, the internal revenue service will intervene, and you will be required to make a payment plan. The IRS can only exempt you from missing ...

  • retired couple with tax debt

Can the IRS Garnish My Pension for Back Taxes?

If you wonder whether or not the IRS can garnish or seize retirement funds because of back taxes, you may be worried if you have not paid your taxes for years. Being a retiree does not exempt you from the IRS coming to collect what you owe.  However, there are ...

  • photo of passport next to American flag

Can you become a citizen if you owe the IRS?

For many becoming an American citizen through naturalization is the chance to give their family a better quality of life and find opportunities that they may not have in their home country. But, naturalization is not as simple as filling out a form, and several key factors will determine whether ...

  • photo of cemetery

What happens if a person dies and owes tax debt?

Dealing with the tax affairs of a loved one may seem like a painful prosaic issue to handle after they have passed away, but it is a process that should begin after a period of mourning. When a person leaves this world, they do not take their debts nor their ...

  • irs cp 14 notice

What Is A CP14 Notice from the IRS?

Of all the pieces of mail you don’t want to receive, one of the most daunting ones to have landed in your mailbox is a CP14 Notice from the IRS. If you’re wondering what one is and why it’s such an aggravation, let us explain: A CP14 is a notice ...

  • couple discussing their tax situation

What qualifies for Innocent Spouse Relief?

When you file taxes jointly with a partner, it can often be a way of splitting the stress and tedium of compiling a tax return. Some individuals even leave their spouse to do the work of filing, not seeing the document until it is handed to them to sign. However, ...

  • photo of three passports lined up

Can You Get a Passport with Tax Debt?

A passport is an all-important document you need to travel outside of the United States. However, you may have difficulty obtaining one if you owe back taxes to the IRS. You cannot only be prevented from applying for a passport if you currently have a passport, but it can also ...

  • tax forms laid out on table

What happens if I forgot to file my taxes?

We all forget things sometimes. Maybe an anniversary has slipped our minds; we have forgotten where we parked the car or left our wallet at home. But, what happens if you fail to do something more substantial like forgot to file taxes? Your first reaction to the situation may be ...

How Can I Get Started?

Book a Free Consultation